THE PAST AND THE PRESENT

One of the most important people in my life died when I was 15, in 1982.  My nan, the person who, now I realise, tried to fill a gap in my life that was there due to poor poor parenting.  My brother, 4 and a half years younger that me was the pride and joy of my mother.  When he was born I was shipped off to my nans for nearly a month so my mother could enjoy her baby.  Nice.  Thank god for my nan.  She would let me stay up late at night and as as got older I would stay with her at weekends, from Friday after school to Sunday evening.  We would have our tea watching the tv then settle down on a Friday night and watch Armchair Thriller.  Then we would get the bus on a Saturday morning to Altrincham and do some shopping.  My nan loved the nice things in life and would like to shop at Rackhams (House of Fraser) where she would spend ages in the Eastex section, rooting out all the lovely tweed jackets and skirts. 

When I was 13, I showed lots of interest in the girly things like nice clothes and typing of course.  As I was so interested, she bought me a typewriter....  apart from my loved ones, one of my most prized posessions and something that I have never thought of throwing out, giving to the local church fair or school fair.  No, its travelled with me through my adult life..... it is 30 years old.  It cost my nan £49.00 which I conclude was a lot of money in 1979.  Thanks nan..... for everything.


Whilst I was taking the pictures of my typewriter and composing this post, the smallest member of my family was looking on with a very intersting look.  Not only at the typewriter but also at the camera.  When we visit grandma and grandad they always take lots of photo's of her so she loves the camera, as you can see.



and.... last but at no means least...... my latest orchid that is now displaying its second bloom of flowers.  This orchid was cut right down to the leaves and for a while did not look like it was going to bloom.  Perseverance and good light from the kitchen window achieved this.....







No comments:

Post a Comment